If your barbecue has more than 9 people then the chances are that some of your guests will be vegetarian or vegan. So you ought be thinking about cooking your veggie food first, so you can be honest and put your vegetarian guests at ease. Still too often you see the vegetarian option being assorted vegetables impaled on a stick but it can be so much more! One of my all time favourite recipes is my Warm Grilled Mediterranean Salad. I keep the size of the vegetables large for grilling so the pieces don’t fall between the grill bars when cooking, then cut them into bite size pieces as I assemble the salad.
2-3 large flat mushrooms
1 head of garlic + a couple of extra cloves
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
2 large vine ripe tomatoes
1 small red onion
1 bunch basil
Good quality balsamic vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the aubergine into fairly thick slices.
- Trim the end of your courgettes, then cut them in half lengthwise and then cut each half lengthwise into two. Then cut the seeds out of each 1/4 of courgette.
- Next cut your red and yellow peppers into quarters from the top. Remove the seeds and any membrane from the peppers.
- Cut the vine ripe tomatoes into 1/4’s from the top.
- Cut your red onion simply in half.
- Trim the storks out of your large flat mushrooms.
- Finely chop up the extra garlic cloves and sprinkle onto the insides of the mushrooms, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Carefully cut the head of garlic horizontally in half, so that the 2 halves are intact.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on all of your vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
- Start the head of garlic on the coolest pat of the grill, together with the red onions halves.
- Cook the peppers on a medium heat of the grill – turn from time to time so avoid them getting too charred. Remove from the grill when they are almost cooked.
- Next grill the aubergine slices on a medium heat until lightly charred, then remove from the grill.
- Grill the courgette slices on the highest heat to brown them quickly. Then remove from the heat when almost cooked.
- Cook the tomato quarters also on the hottest part of the grill, then remove.
- Once the garlic and red onion is cooked and soft, remove from the grill.
- Cut the vegetables into bite size pieces and put into a large salad bowl.